This key role has responsibility for maintaining the asset in the best possible condition and insuring compliance with safety standards. You will organize, prioritize and ensure that service requests and repairs are correct and completed in a timely manner and oversee/perform turnkey operations and inspections to ensure units are rent ready as needed. You will also be expected to maintain preventive maintenance to avoid downtime resulting from emergency/service repairs and keep your service department efficient, profitable and consistent with the property owner’s high standards. You will be responsible to manage your department’s expenses to stay with in budgeted guidelines as well as seek cost saving measures. Your role in delivering excellent customer to our residents as well as assisting in the cleanliness and marketability of the community is essential in the community’s ability to secure new leases and renew leases with current residents.
• Participate in company training classes/meetings, and ensure all service staff receives appropriate training as required
• Organize, prioritize and ensure that service requests and repairs are made correctly and in a timely manner
• Inspect grounds, buildings, and other community features daily to minimize liability concerns and to ensure excellent curb appeal at all times
• Oversee turnkey operations. Ensure that vacant units are made rent-ready in a timely manner.
• Perform turnkey work as required and ensure all make-readies are inspected
• Adhere to the Signature Standard Operating Procedures
• Must possess basic knowledge of local and state codes for permitting, sign ordinances and pool regulations
• Adhere to and enforce the company’s personnel management policies and procedures
• Maintain an excellent customer service relationship by adhering to the Signature Pledges of Customer Service
• Communicate effectively with residents, fellow associates, vendors, and supervisors
• Work with community manager to handle maintenance related resident problems
• Assist community manager with documenting counseling sessions with maintenance staff
• Maintain a preventative maintenance program that minimizes emergency repairs and service repairs
• Maintain hazard communications program and teach and promote safe work practices
• Assist with recruiting, hiring and training of quality staff and recommend promotions and terminations when necessary
• Work with community manager to obtain competitive bids for maintenance related expenses
• Understand and adhere to budget guidelines
• Under the supervision of the community manager, purchase supplies/vendor services using standard purchase order systems and proper bidding procedures
• Understand and operate company computer software related to position requirements
• Contract use of outside vendors only when necessary
• Monitor inventory of parts and supplies at appropriate levels
• Other tasks or duties as assigned by supervisor
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty well. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
No specific level of education is required. However, for safety and productivity reasons, the position requires the ability to read and write English. In addition, the position requires the ability to accurately perform basic mathematical functions.
Professional Experience Required
Minimum of four years’ previous supervisor experience in community management maintenance, or other building maintenance or related field. Older properties may also require previous renovation experience.
Position requires the ability to work any of the seven days of the week, 52 weeks of the year. Due to community staffing limitations, it is extremely critical that individuals be able to work their scheduled hours on a consistent basis and, if necessary, overtime hours when requested. Travel may be required for company training classes or to work at other communities as requested. Position may also require the associate to perform on call after hour emergency service. On call associates may be required to reside within a minimum proximity of the community to ensure reasonable response time to after hour emergencies.
• A valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance is required. Position requires individuals to furnish their own reliable vehicle to fulfill all of the job’s functions.
• EPA certification Type I and II
• Pest control (if performed in-house)
• Other licenses and certifications as required by Signature, state or federal law
• Basic hand tools ( Not provided by community)
• Position requires individuals to be able to use general maintenance equipment including, but not limited to, hand tools, ladders, refrigerant recovery units, landscaping equipment, and required safety equipment
• All equipment must be used without jeopardizing the safety of themselves, fellow associates, and residents
• Appropriate safety equipment and apparel must be worn including proper foot ware(Work boots)
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret all forms of information
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to accept and learn from constructive criticism
• Must be well organized
• Must be detail oriented
• Must be team oriented but able to work independently on occasion
• Ability to prioritize tasks
• Ability to multi-task
• Must be efficient
• Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Must have good problem solving skills
• Must be customer service oriented
• Ability to meet deadlines (possibly working late hours and/or weekends as needed)
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Must have the ability to lead and motivate a staff
Must be able to diagnose problems with and repair the following:
• Major appliances
• HVAC (EPA Certification)
• Basic – Intermediate plumbing
• Basic – Intermediate electrical (when no license required)
• General carpentry
• Pool care (if required by community)
• Pest control (if required by community)
• Roofs and gutters
• Irrigation maintenance and repairs
• Fountain maintenance and repairs
• Foundation/sidewalk repairs
• Ice/snow removal
• Golf carts and small engine maintenance
Computer Skill Requirement
• Minimum of basic knowledge of computers
• Ability to use Outlook
• Minimum of basic Internet knowledge
Learning and Development
Maintain a commitment to ongoing professional development and career growth.
Associate must wear career apparel based on defined company standards.
Service Managers will spend 60 to 70 percent of their time performing hands-on repairs/maintenance work. The remaining time will be spent supervising the work of their associates and outside contractors and performing general management functions. Position requires ability to transport or move up to 50 pounds variable distances; the mobility and flexibility to use ladders to access heights in excess of eight to nine feet; the ability to work outdoors in temperatures exceeding 90 degrees or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit and the ability to personally perform general maintenance repair tasks without endangering themselves, residents or fellow associates.