Position Summary: Oversees and performs technical and mechanical work that ensures the inside and external buildings, grounds, amenities, and common areas of the property meet the Company’s standards for cleanliness, appearance, safety, and overall functionality by performing maintenance related tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Assists with and completes work orders generated from resident requests for service, as well as routine upkeep on the property by diagnosing the source or cause of the defect or problem, and making repairs in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety standards, and code requirements.
- Oversees and completes the “make-ready” process to prepare vacant apartment homes for leasing and new move-ins by completing the pre-move-out inspection, creating a “punch” list of maintenance work needed, scheduling vendors and contractors as needed, obtaining needed supplies and materials, completing all maintenance tasks, and inspecting completed work.
- Develops standards for the cleanliness and overall appearance of the community’s grounds, amenities, building exteriors, market ready unit interiors, breezeways, curbs, signage, leasing office, central garbage areas, parking lots, and other buildings and common areas to ensure that they reflect and represent the high quality of the community and company standards.
- Periodically inspects work performed by other service team members in person to assess effectiveness of policies and procedures and develop corrective action plans as needed. Periodically inspects work performed by contractors, vendors and other service providers to verify the work. Ensures materials and services meet quality standards, scope and specifications as required.
- Maintains adequate inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials and works with Property Manager to order supplies and tools as needed to stay within budgetary guidelines.
- Assists Property Manager in developing the budget for regular repair and maintenance and capital expenses. Supports cost-cutting and expense control programs by fixing rather than replacing parts when possible, not being wasteful with materials and supplies, and practicing the correct use for tools and equipment.
- Completes monthly Preventative Maintenance procedures as outlined in the Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Conducts regularly scheduled safety meetings, ensure all MSDS sheets are current and readily accessible, and keeps up to date on all OSHA and other safety related laws and requirements to ensure property compliance.
- Demonstrates customer services skills by treating residents and others with respect, interfacing face-to-face with residents and service team, responding to questions from your team and residents, responding sensitively to complaints about maintenance services, and assigning work orders with efficiency and urgency. This includes the ability to work in a stressful environment and work peacefully with co-workers and residents.
- Must be able to meet predictable attendance and punctuality expectations and physical demands of the position complying with the company policies and performance expectations.
- Follows established policies and procedures by monitoring and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, organizational standards, and operational processes related to area(s) of responsibility and reporting violations or infractions to appropriate individual(s).
- Schedules and performs minor and routine maintenance on all appropriate equipment on a regular basis. Inspects and maintains all tools in excellent condition.
- Conducts routine and periodic property inspections to identify safety and risk management concerns, keep the property in good repair, and communicate concerns about the physical needs of the property to the appropriate individual(s).
- Completes documentation and other paperwork in a timely, accurate, and complete fashion so that service requests can be appropriately documented, tracked and completed.
- Identifies areas for improvement and offers suggestions to improve the property’s efficiency, profitability, and productivity.
- Keeps abreast of new trends and changes in the industry and area(s) of responsibility by attending internal and external training classes, apartment association meetings, and other events, and accessing other information sources.
Work Hours (may vary by state or location):
This position is scheduled for 40 hours in a regular work week. Hours of operation vary by site, but typical sites are open from 9:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday, and Saturday 10:00am to 5:00pm. Service Managers must be able to work a flexible work schedule, which includes taking “call” during evenings, weekends, and holidays and must be able to perform the essential job functions unaccompanied.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employment history that demonstrates the application of knowledge and skills sufficient in the safe use and maintenance of hand tools, power tools, user moved aids, mechanical equipment, and measuring devices. Working knowledge of OSHA standards and MSDS regulations and 2 to 3 years of apartment maintenance experience or equivalent. High school diploma or GED; college or technical degree is preferred.
Demonstrated ability to read, write, and communicate effectively to represent company management in a support capacity, act as first point of contact for internal team members and external visitors to the Company, and answer questions related to department operating policies.
Demonstrated mathematical skills necessary to add, subtract, multiply, and divide numbers, decimals, and fractions to complete basic maintenance duties.
Demonstrated ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define and correct problems. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Demonstrated proficiency in internet, word processing, spreadsheet, and database management programs in order to maintain records of information and develop and provide information for supervisor’s use. Property management system experience is preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
Applicants must have EPA certifications Type I and II or Universal for refrigerant recycling as well as all certifications required by State and Local jurisdictions. Current valid driver’s license required.
Proven skills sufficient to lead, direct, and oversee the maintenance process performed by the Service Team members.
Service Managers will spend the majority of their time performing hands-on repairs/maintenance work. Position requires ability to transport or move up to 50 pounds variable distances; the mobility and flexibility to use ladders to access heights in excess of eight to nine feet; the ability to work outdoors in temperatures exceeding 90 degrees or below 32 degrees Fahrenheit and the ability to personally perform general maintenance repair tasks without endangering themselves, residents or fellow associates.